Friday, February 19, 2010

Vegan Blueberry-Whole Wheat Muffins

I had a craving for muffins this morning. Also, we are trying to use all of the stuff in our freezer and pantry so that we don't have to move a bunch of food to our new house and we can save some money in the process. This means that we only have Chex cereal (i.e. boring cereal) on hand right now and I just gave the kids the last of the pancakes that I froze so I needed some breakfast foods.

I had never made egg-free blueberry muffins before and I decided that today was the day. I was also feeling very health conscious so I made them a little too healthy tasting but Gemma said they were yummy. And I am going to ignore all comments about her being a biased critic because she has never tasted a horribly unhealthy/delicious Costco blueberry muffin.

I adapted this from the "Rich Muffin"- w/blueberry modification recipe in the Pillsbury cookbook. (Circa 1980, the one that says "New microwave ideas! Recipes & ways to use your revolutionary kitchen helper!" on the cover. Tee hee.) However, I changed so many things about it that you probably wouldn't taste any similarities between the two recipes.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups of white flour
2 cups of whole wheat flour (you can use all white flour if you desire)
1 cup sugar
7 tsp baking powder (6 tsp if you use eggs in the recipe)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg

2 Tbsp milled flax seed + 6 Tbsp warm water (or two eggs)
2 1/3 cups soymilk (or enough to make the batter is the right consistency. Flax and whole wheat flour soak up a lot of moisture leaving the dough...well, doughy and needing more milk than your average muffin recipe)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of blueberries either fresh or frozen (thawed and drained)

Preheat oven to 400°.
Line muffin tins with paper or silicone cups.
In large bowl, mix together the first six ingredients.
In a medium bowl combine the flax mixture (or egg), soymilk, and oil.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry being careful now to over-mix.
Gently fold in the blueberries and spoon the batter into baking cups filling them 3/4 full.
Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 24 medium muffins.

No comments: